Sunday, June 25, 2006

Reflecting on why I am not reflecting...and more

I hate that I have gotten so busy with my grad work that I have forgotten to post on this site. Reflection is such an important part to learning. I just need to slow down enough to reflect.

I have enjoyed the course so far. I think it is a little on the less-directed side. Some of the assignments are fairly open-ended which gives rise to concerns over whether what is being created is what is being asked for. Since it is a more laid-back atmosphere, to some extent, I would assume that there is always a chance to redo something that is not done as expected. That always helps the learning process.

I love the integration of technology into the training. More teacher training programs need to take notice of this. Teachers are getting left behind so badly because the professional development groups/responsible parties will not put it out there for teachers to see how useful it is. It is quite a shame, too. Our kids are missing out on so much good learning and conversation because of it. I guess it is our job to change that part of the system.

I was discussing something similar to this today with some colleagues at a meeting in Austin. We were lamenting the passing of funding for field trips that offered our students hands-on learning opportunities like museum trips. I just wish our state legislature would open their eyes and see how bad they are cheating the students of Texas. They are trying to create their political careers on the bashing public schools when they should be building their political careers by helping to build successful public schools. When was the last time a legislature set foot on your campus and simply said, “Hey, what do you need for your students to be successful?”

That’s what I thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home